Santa Cruz Church, Maribojoc


Maribojoc began as a Jesuit mission in the 18th century. The parish of Maribojoc, Bohol was founded in 1768,
and construction of a church started 1798 and lasted 18 years.   

The Jesuits built a temporary church which the Recollects replaced with the present structure by 1886.
Heritage Features: Unlike other churches, the convento of Maribojoc is located behind the church rather
than at its side. This gives the convento an unobstructed view of the sea, especially from the balcony
that runs the length of the convento. The convento is approached through the sacristy and is a
continuation of it. Above the sacristy is a room which has been converted to the Maribojoc museum.
The church is planned as cruciform. Its façade is plain, decorated by thin pilasters and niches
with images of saints. The interior comes as a surprise because of the three Neogothic altars
in the church. The traceries and finials of gilded hardwood are delicately carved. The main altar
has an image of the Blessed Trinity and bas relieves of the life of Mary Magdalene. The church ceiling
is made of metal and painted with catechetical and liturgical motifs